If you’re looking for a completely unique experience in the heart of New Orleans, you will definitely want to try Baru! I LOVE tapas restaurants because you can share and try a little bit of everything – it’s a way to pig out with out all the guilt, and in this case, it’s totally worth it! (Once you get there, head upstairs to try the brand new ceviche bar and the view of Magazine. Highly reccommended.)
The menu can be a little daunting if you’re not familiar with Caribbean style food, so I definitely want to show you what we put on the custom menu for the dinner. Every single item came beautifully presented and was DELISH. I can’t really tell you a favorite, because I’d be telling you that every single one is my favorite. I hope you’re about to eat dinner or you’re basically about to get really hungry. Here are a few items that you HAVE to order!
1. My drink of choice! Maracuyà: Vodka + Passion Fruit + Freshly Grated Ginger + Amapola Seeds
2. Definitely start with this one: Atún Tartare with Mango + Pecans + Sesame Emulsion + Guacamole + Chifles
3. Mushrooms + Avacado. Meet Guacabello. Grilled portobello + guacamole + olive oil + lime juice + tortilla strips
4. I didn’t even know I liked beets until I ate this – Torta de Cangrejo: West Indian Style Blue Crab Cake, Beet & Chayote Remoulade, Arugula Salad and Pecanas
5. Gotta have raw oysters at the crudo bar! Ostras Crudas: Oysters + Tomatillo Mignonette + Aji Limo Hot Sauce
6. I don’t have an image of it, but I you absolutely cannot leave Baru without ordering the Mazorca. You’ll never want to eat regular corn again. Also this photo is of the Baru balcony lit up at night!
Okay, you’re hungry right?! Me too. Writing this has been a blessing and a curse because I just relived all the tastes and am now tragically starving. To see all of the dishes and learn more about Caribbean cuisine, make sure to follow Baru Bistro and Tapas on Instagram – @barutapas! To get more information including the menu and hours of operation, visit the Baru Bistro and Tapas website!